Mosaic Garden Art Retreat At Camp Ocean Pines 2017 & 2018
1473 Randall Dr. · Cambria, Ca. · 805-927-0254
Dates: Nov 30-Dec 3, 2017 March 8-11, 2018
Sep 6-9, 2018 Dec 6-9, 2018
4-day Option ( Arrive Thursday 4 pm thru Sunday 2 pm)
- $490 Includes: Instruction, 3 nights lodging in dorm-style cabins and 9 meals.
- $425 Includes: Instruction, no lodging and all meals except breakfasts.
3-day Option (Arrive Friday 4 pm thru Sunday 2 pm)
- $340 Includes: Instruction, 2 nights lodging in dorm-style cabins and 6 meals.
- $285 Includes: Instruction, no lodging and all meals except breakfasts.
Experience why mosaic art enthusiasts of all skill levels from around the country continue to return for these fabulous retreats! With over 30 years combined mosaic experience, Fred and Donnell will guide you in a relaxed, motivating, encouraging teaching style that will leave you inspired. Whether you are a curious beginner, experienced hobbyist or accomplished professional- you will flourish in this creative environment. The whimsical mosaic fireplace in the Crafts Lodge where you will be working, along with the rest of the colorful mosaics sprinkled throughout the property, is every artist’s haven. Since Camp Ocean Pines is perched on the hill in a pine forest overlooking the Pacific Ocean you will see awesome sunsets, deer roaming the property and hear seals barking on the rocks near by.
what makes this retreat different:
- Pick the project, tesserae, and mosaic style of your choice.
- Variety of materials: tile, stained glass, china, pebbles & shells, (smalti, beads, bring your own)
- Every project is different than others in class.
- Choose from one-of-kind, hand made garden art :mushrooms, bugs, birds, fish, 3-D hearts on poles, etc., or bring your own project (upon approval).
- Price includes food and lodging!!
You will learn:
- Basic mosaic design ideas and approaches that spark creativity.
- How to successfully use different materials in your compositions.
- About safety and proper use of various tools to cut tile, china, glass, stone, etc.
- Overcoming the fear of using a wet saw and other essential power tools.
- Which adhesives are best to use for indoor and outdoor mosaics.
- All about grouting, from choosing the right color, deciding to grout or not, to getting professional results.
- Eco-friendly mosaic-making ideas to recycle, save water and save money!
- Plus other tricks of the trade learned over 30 years -that’s a lot of “passion for smashin”!
Individual projects to choose from include any projects listed below, or upon instructors’ approval, you may bring your own project to work on. Depending on the project selection, a $20-$100 per project materials fee will apply, payable to the instructors, at the workshop. Also, many other mosaic-ready projects, all handmade by the artists, such as 3d concrete bugs and mushrooms and lightweight weather proof forms such as birds, spheres, hearts, etc., as well as some tools and supplies will be available for purchase.
Along with the artists’ vast selection of tessera (tile, china, glass, shells, pebbles, etc.), you are also encouraged to bring your own interesting materials to personalize your project or to share with the group.
Special tour of C.O.P. Mosaics-
A highlight of every C.O.P. retreat is the Saturday morning instructional tour of the Camp’s mosaic fireplace, amphitheater, stair risers, murals, pebble mosaics and other art on the 12 acre property. We guarantee you will come away full of inspiration, ready to continue creating!
To register: Click on the button and you will be directed to Camp Ocean Pines website.
Info: Fred and Donnell 805.440.3054 Camp Ocean Pines (Luann) 805.927.0254
|Outdoor Projects:||*Materials fee paid to instructors on Sunday:|
|12” stepping stone||$20|
|16” stepping stone||$30|
|8” or 10″ terra cotta pot,sealed||$30, $40|
|16” handmade, concrete birdbath* 21″H x 16″ W
(Due to large surface area of birdbath, an additional fee for tesserae will be added depending on materials chosen.
|12″ x 18″ x 1″ concrete over styrofoam weatherproof wallhanging*,
12″ x 18″ wedi board, finished edges
|6″ or 8″ ht. round, or 10″ht. fluted concrete mushroom*||$25, $55 & $75|
|11″ x 9″ (approx) concrete wall heart or puffed heart on stake* (12″ x 10″ and up, sizes vary)
(Due to large 3-D surface area of puffed heart, an additional fee for tesserae will be added depending on materials chosen.)
|$95 & up|
|10″ dia. sphere*||$85|
|8″-10″ concrete bugs: beetle or lady bug*||$75-$85|
|*These projects are one-of-a-kind made by Fred. In addition to these, students are always excited to see what new hand made projects will be available at each workshop.|
|18” heart mirror||$55|
|15”x 12″ rectangle mirror||$55|
|15” lazy susan||$65|
|12″ x 19″ x 3/4″ primed plywood wall hanging||$45|
|12″ ht. (approx.) table lamp, no shade||$45|